Helping Women and Children break the cycle of domestic violence...

Refuges understand the needs of women and children leaving domestic violence. The refuges listed below endeavour to provide a homely, warm atmosphere which caters for you and any children, and allows you independence and the right to control your own life.

Refuge staff are very supportive.  They can help you with advocacy (speak for you) and referrals to services that provide counselling, legal advice and representation, financial advice and benefits, clothing, furniture and household goods, child care and much, much more.

Remember, it's often possible to arrange for the police to accompany you back to your home later to collect things you need.

Housing NSW, previously called The Department of Housing, can help with short, medium and long term housing. They give priority to women and children escaping domestic violence situations, and can help you with public or private housing. Their help can include advocating with private real estates and landlords, financial support with bond and rent in private housing, subsidised and affordable public housing, and emergency accommodation in motels and caravan parks.


Domestic Violence HotLine (24 hours) 1800 656 463 (freecall)

Elandra Women & Children's Service  
Phone: 02 4396 4263
Elandra Women & Children's Service addresses the effects of Domestic Violence on women and children by providing them with safe, short-term accomodation, support, information and opportunities to gain the skills and understanding which will enable them to take control over their own and their family's lives. Their office is open Mon-Fri 9.00am to 4.30pm. They have an on-call worker after hours. Only women and their children experiencing and /or wishing to escape domestic violence are accepted. They have disability access. They can help you with transport arrangements. Outreach (a worker coming to you) is also available.

Woy Woy Women's and Children's Services
Phone: (02) 4340 1052
Email Address:
Hours: 24 hour crisis service
Woy Woy Women and Children's Services provide safe supported accommodation for women and their dependent children who are escaping domestic violence or other intolerable living conditions. They can help you with transport arrangements.

Coast Shelter 
24 Hour Accommodation Enquiries: (02) 4324 7239
Women (with or without accompanying children) - Phone (02) 4323 1709
Youth - Phone (02) 4325 7555
Young Women - Phone (02) 4323 1636
"Coast Shelter has several refuges which look more like ordinary homes where we accommodate homeless men, women, families and youth which staff help them to get their lives in order. This means that our staff have to be skilled in a whole host of problem areas such as domestic violence, financial difficulties, gambling, alcohol and other drug issues, behavioural difficulties and just plain living skills."

Housing NSW (previously called The Department of Housing)

  • 1300 468 746
  • To get details about temporary accommodation outside of office hours, call 1800 152 152 (freecall). The line is open from Monday to Friday from 4.30pm to 10pm, and on weekends and public holidays from 10am to 10pm.
  • For the hearing impaired, telephone TTY - 1800 628 310.
  • If an interpreter is required, telephone TIS on 131 450.

      Housing NSW is committed to reducing the effects of domestic violence by improving people's access to safe, affordable housing. Persons who are affected by domestic violence are considered to be 'at risk' and their needs are prioritised. You will need to meet the Dept of Housing’s usual eligibility requirements. If you don’t meet Housing NSW's eligibility criteria they may still provide emergency temporary public housing rental accommodation for up to 3 months.

      They can provide a range of options, including:

      • Private rental assistance
      • Private rental subsidies
      • Temporary accommodation
      • Emergency temporary accommodation
      • Supported and crisis accommodation
      • Affordable housing
      • Social housing.

        • Housing NSW provides emergency temporary accommodation in low-cost hotels, motels, caravan parks and similar accommodation for people who are or homeless or experience a housing crisis.

          Start Safely – Dept of Housing NSW Domestic Violence Information

          Housing NSW Domestic Violence Fact Sheet

          Housing Information Applying for social housing

          Application for Housing

          Getting You Home Emergency Housing Kit by Gosford Council

          The Homeless Persons Information Centre (HPIC) is a telephone information and referral service, which operates seven days a week from 9am-1pm and 2pm-10pm.
          Call 1800 234 566 (freecall) or 9265 9081.

          Youth Accommodation Line on 96985833 (Sydney) or 1800 424 830 (Country NSW).
          Help for the hearing impaired
          Telephone TTY – 1800 628 310

          Aboriginal/Indigenous Australians
          Call 1800 727 555 (freecall) or visit the NSW Aboriginal Housing Office at
          Other useful numbers
          Lifeline(24 hours)131 114
          Salvo Crisis Centre (24 hours) 9360 3000
          Missionbeat (9am to11pm)1300 306 461

          Help in other languages
          Call the Telephone Interpreter Service on 131 450.

          NSW Women’s Refuge Resource Centre
          Tel: 02 9698 9777
          Fax: 02 9698 9771