Helping Women and Children break the cycle of domestic violence...


1800 656 463

If you need an interpreter call TTY
1800 671 442

If anyone is in physical danger or about to be harmed, call the POLICE on 000 immediately!

Here are some things you can do.

  • Plan to take your children with you.  
  • Call the 24 hour Domestic Violence Hotline on 1800 65 64 63.  Remember, in an emergency, always call 000!
  • Try to collect or make copies of important documents and post them or leave them with a friend.  Otherwise have them somewhere safe where you can easily get them. Include key cards, credit cards, medicare cards, birth certificates, marriage certificates, AVO orders, family law papers, AVO orders, mortgage papers, drivers licenses, immunisation records, passports, immunisation and citizen papers, and anything else you can think of. Make a "bring list" and keep it safely hidden.
  • Stash some money and spare keys somewhere you can get them – they can also be with a friend.
  • Talk to a solicitor.  You’ll probably qualify for Legal Aid. Call CCDVCAS, the Law Access Line on 1300 888 529 or the Central Coast Community Legal Centre on 02 4353 4988, and explain that you need a solicitor who understands domestic violence. The Youth Legal Aid Hotline is 1800 10 18 10.
  • Maybe you can open a secret bank account in your name and put some money in it. Make sure statements aren’t posted to your address. Don’t worry, there’s emergency financial assistance if you can’t manage to take any money with you.
  • Contact Centrelink on 131 794 within 7 days of leaving or seperating. You may be eligible for a crisis payment.  
  • Maybe there's a friend you could stay with?  Explain to them that you may show up at sort notice. You can even leave clothes and other belongings there.
  • Keep some change on you so you can always phone for help. Remember, 000, the emergency number, is free, and you can ask to be put through to the police.